Increase your website traffic with

Moving Pets to Gran Canaria

Moving abroad is going to be a difficult time for you, and all of your family. It will be full of as much anxiety, as it it will excitement. Imagine going through all the preparations for your move to your new Country only to find that you are going to miss the deadlines because you haven┬┤t prepared your pets. What do you do?, consider leaving them behind? Add to your stress because they are unable to come with you straight away? The procedures, and regulations for your pet passport are easy enough to work through, but in order for them to travel, and arrive without spending time quarantined, you need quite a lot of preparation time. You need to allow for it. We will give you all the information you need to know, and links to relevant governing organizations for pet travel to, and from Gran Canaria, and Spain.

The pets passport scheme, allows your pets to travel to, and from the UK without any quarantine restrictions, however, be certain that this is the route you want to follow because this is an extremely stressful experience for your pet. Your pet is likely to be away from you for some considerable time, not just the duration of the journey. Once you, and your family have arrived, you then need to make sure your pet is checked through customs. There is an amount of paperwork involved, and you must make sure you have, your identification, your pets travel documents, and some euros available. You will have to pay to get your pet through customs. It is not a good idea to transport your pet for short periods of time. If you do have to travel a lot, and want to take your pets with you, seek advice from a vetarinarian that knows your pets.

February 28th, of 2000 saw the start of the pets travel scheme which allowed cats and dogs to travel to and from the UK without the need for quarantine, provided certain conditions were met. To be able to take advantage of the scheme, you as the owner must follow the law to the letter, right down to the tiniest of details. It may seem harsh, but this is to prevent the transfer of any unwanted diseases from country to country.

Pets under 3 months old can travel to Spain and the Canary Islands but only with prior consent from the Spanish Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries, and Food (Ministerio de Agricultura, Pesca y Alimentaci├│n) Telephone number is 0034 913478295 or 0034913475866, and fax numbers are 0034 913478299 or 0034 913478327.

To take advantage of the pets abroad scheme:

  • All cats and dogs must be fitted with a standard ISO specification microchip. This is so that the chip can be read by a standard microchip reader.
  • All cats and dogs travelling abroad using the scheme Must be vaccinated against rabies, using an approved vaccination and have received booster vaccinations as recommended. Your cat or dog must continue the rabies vaccinations throughout the rest of his or her life, if you intend at any time in the future to return with them to the UK. The coverage has to be unbroken and cannot be allowed to lapse for even one day. If this happens you will have to start the process all over again. For example if your pets renewal date is the 1st of January then the booster vaccination has to take place no later than the 31st of December. For the Pets abroad scheme one year is 365 days and your pet must be vaccinated on the last day of the year to ensure continuity.
  • Pets must be at least 3 months old before they can have a microchip inserted and be vaccinated.
  • 30 days after the Rabies vaccination your dog or cat will need to have a blood test. If you pet fails this blood test he or she will need to have another vaccination and repeat the blood test after another 30 days. You will need to keep repeating this process until your pets pass the blood test.
  • You must wait a further 6 months after a successful blood before you travel with your pet.

The documentation you receive from the vet in the UK is valid for one year. Outside of this time if you are returning to the UK with your pet you will need new documentation issued by a Spanish vet.

For more information about the requirements you need to meet to return to the UK with your pets visit

When you have arrived with your pet you need to be aware that the dangerous dogs act in Spain and Gran Canaria states that breeds covered by this law must be registered with the town hall and regional governing authorities where you intend to be resident.

The following breeds are considered dangerous in Spain under national legislation:

  • Pit Bull Terrier
  • Staffordshire Terrier
  • Amercian Staffordshire Terrier
  • Rottweiler
  • Dogo Argentino
  • Fila Brasileiro
  • Tosa Inu
  • AkitaInu

We hope that this information has been useful to you, and that you, and your pet settle easily into life on Gran Canaria. If you think we have missed something vital from this information, please contact us via email. Details can be found on the Contact Us page. We promise to do all the research we can, and update the information as soon as possible.